Saturday, March 12, 2011

X-Rae Results and a New Appointment

I have just enough time for a quick update before I go (I have an important meeting to attend).

I went to another clinic today although none of these visits seem different from the previous ones (an examination of some sort and then more questions and then the passing along of information from one doctor to the next).

In the waiting room of the little hospital, I busied myself correcting grammatical errors in the x-rae result summaries to be turned in to the doctor. Assuming that the nurses would take the papers, I manifolded them one by one so that you I could post the results. This is what they said:

IMPRESSION:
1. TRANSITIONAL FIRST LUMBAR VERTEBRA WITH BILATERAL RIB FORMATION.
2. PARTIAL SACRALIZATION L5 VERTEBRAL SEGMENT WITH UNILATERAL TRUE TRANSVERSE PROCESS ON THE RIGHT. LUMBOSACRAL SPINE X-RAE OTHERWISE APPEARS UNREMARKABLE.


I had just finished correcting the last misspelling when a nurse called my name and led me into an examination room. A few minutes later, the doctor entered, introducing himself as Dr. Hans. He had stringy white hair that fell over his forehead and thick spectacles.


He directed me to stand and sit in all sorts of ways and observed while asking questions about what hurt and where and to what degree and so forth. He took note of all of my answers and excused himself to make copies of my x-raes. As soon as he had left, I slipped a few copies into my bag so I could post them here:


(You can see the rest on my "X-Raes" page.)

I even took home some of the papers describing my condition:




Dr. Hans said he still would not know what is wrong with me until I have a Bonescan SPECT, which stands for "single-photon-emission computed tomography." I'll have to go to another hospital and get injected with radioactive isotope (a substance that will make my bones glow!) The SPECT machine is one of the newest technological advancements in the medical world. It sounds rather scary, but I am excited to try it. And as always, I will write all about it.

Until then,

Rosemary

No comments:

Post a Comment